Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Photobucket

How do you get the rocks so smooth?
All the rocks that I use are handpicked stones from the shores of Manitoba lakes. The beauty, shape and color draw me to them; they are not shaped or polished! After the artwork is complete, each stone is triple- glazed with a protective coating. My work is for indoor enjoyment.
*
*
When did you start ArtRocks and why?
I started painting stones in 1998 when we were up at the family cabin for an extended vacation. I had always been a rock collector, and that summer I decided to put the love of nature and art together!  I am happy to expand my business to include other types of art that I love to do: collage, pen and ink on paper and now letterpress! Next year is a big year for my business- 20 years!
*
*
Why did you pick the name ArtRocks?
Well... Art + Rocks seemed like a good name since it could mean two things. Of course, having just started making the painted stones, it was the perfect name but it also reminds people that Art does Rock ...as I expand my business to include paper products, it can cover the other aspects of my art. 
*
*
Where does your inspiration come from?
I love the quote from the amazing Alfred Hitchcock: "Inspiration is everywhere". This is exactly it! I see a picture in a magazine, I pull the page out. I see a beautiful sunset, I try to memorize the colors... or better yet take a picture! I see an intriguing font, I cut it out. The Master's paintings and their color palettes... my cat... I could go on and on. Beauty is all around us.
*
*
Do you decide on the design and find the rock or does the rock inspire the design?
Yes and yes! Sometimes the rock speaks to me and I have to paint a certain image on it. Other times I may draw a design on paper and find a rock that fits it. I love the fact that each stone is a new canvas that requires artistic decisions to make the design work... I love it.
*